if this is your first time to the zoo, please read my very first post found here. If you like what you see, feel free to subscribe. Thanks!

03 January 2013

Accountability and Change

Well, everyone wants to have more money in their accounts, right?  Then why don't we? I think it's probably the same reason why we end up eating more junk than we mean to....because it takes time and energy to be accountable for ourselves, and life is busy enough as it is!  What I'm finding, slowly, is that the more you make being accountable to yourself, your spouse, your everything, the more time and energy you have for everything else. Why? Being accountable makes life simple, once it's a habit.  It forces you to think about what you are eating, what you are spending, what you are bringing into your house, and how you manage your time. For me, all of this thinking is often painful. It's difficult to admit all of the crappy things I eat or spend money or time on.  Being accountable helps me think about my choices BEFORE I make them. It helps slow the gush of bad choices to a trickle. Do I still make them? Yes, all the time, in fact. But do I make them less? Absolutely. And that's what is truly important. 
The other thing I'd like to emphasize is that for me, change is best made in the smallest increments possible and by making habits. This means that I get from point A to point B VERY slowly and with a lot of backslide. It is discouraging but it's who I am for today.  Accepting the kind of change-maker you are is perhaps the most important part of being able to change.
Because it's been the biggest issue in my house, I'm going to start by looking at money and being accountable for money. Everything, including time and non-toxic products, tie into money accountablility so the lines are going to overlap a bit.  
Baby Steps:
Here are three tips to save a little that I used today:
-Running all of my errands in one sitting but limiting errand trips to 5hrs.  This saves gas and means you have to prioritize your errands!   I also only run errands with a strict list from which I do not deviate. The time limit is important because when you're tired, your will-power weakens and you'll find yourself buying things that are not on your list.
-Pack snacks! No matter how long you think you're going to be out of the house, take a healthy snack and a bottle of tea or water. If you are running errands with kids, take two options and take more than you think they'll eat. One of the biggest money pits is being out and about and having a hunger pang.  Fast food is EXPENSIVE and NASTY.   Also, thirst can manifest itself as hunger, so taking that tea or water is very important!  My favorite snacks are Annie's cheese bunnies, dried fruit from the bulk section at the grocery store, organic beef jerky from Trader Joes, nuts and trail mix, ganola bars, and dried cereal. I keep a little lunch box in my car at all times full of Annie's cheese bunnies and little stainless steel water bottles in case I forget my snack. Now that we have cool weather, sometimes I'll grab a juicebox and some greek yogurt to-go as well. (Side note, I store all of my snacks in zip-locks made of cloth that I bought locally at a craft fair or in stainless steel. It's not a good idea to store food and drinks in containers with BPA especially if they'll be in a car that has fluctuating temperatures.)
-Before you Goodwill an item, do a little research to see if there's somewhere that will take it and give you a little for it.  I turned in a big box of books today at Page's Books in Silverdale. They'll sort through them and give me store credit for them! Easy as that!  That whole box was destined for Goodwill and instead, I can go shopping "for free" after they price them. Not a bad deal.  It's always worth it to try and sell electronics, tools, and jewelry to pawn shops before you Goodwill them. You never know what is popular there, and something you might consider junk might net you a few dollars. I also highly recommend taking clothes to local consignment shops. Each shop has varying policies, but most will give you the option of having the store donate unsold items to Goodwill for you.
Hopefully I'll be back soon with more ideas. Until then, make a budget!!  It's the VERY most important way to be accountable for your money.  Forget fancy software or books. Head over to www.mint.com and get started there. It's really easy to use, and a wonderful place to start.  Give yourself  time to work through all of the steps, and don't feel too overwhelmed.

No comments:

Post a Comment