if this is your first time to the zoo, please read my very first post found here. If you like what you see, feel free to subscribe. Thanks!

04 October 2012

Cheap Rib Recipe

A few months ago, I found pork ribs on sale for a great deal, about $0.80 per pound for spare rib racks.  I really didn't have to think too hard about it...I just threw four frozen slabs in my cart and kept going! 

Last week we thawed a slab, and I realized I didn't have a good recipe for the pork spare ribs. Usually we spring for the baby back ribs when they are on sale at Costco, and they never fail to turn out tender and amazing.  I have tried spare ribs before and  they always turn out a little tough. Hmmmm.

Well, the ribs were already thawed, and dear husband was already hungry so I googled "pork spare ribs" and tried the fastest cooking recipe that popped up. My grandmother used to say, "If you starve 'em long enough, they'll eat anything," and I figured by the time the ribs were cooked, husband would be starved long enough to eat them, even if they ended up tough and stringy.

Lo and behold, they turned out awesomely.  (Thank goodness!! We still have three slabs in the chest freezer!)  Husband finished the leftovers up last night so I'm sure there will be another thawed rack with my name on it soon.

Here's the recipe:

1. Cut the ribs into portion sizes (3-5 rib chunks depending on your crowd). Put in a large pot, cover with water, and boil over medium-high heat for an hour. 

2. A half-hour into your boil, mix 1 cup ketchup, 1 cup bbq sauce, 1/2 cup brown sugar, about 2 tablespoons of lemon juice, 2 tablespoons worcestshire sauce, 2 tablespoons steak sauce, a dash of hot sauce, and a clove or two of minced garlic into a small sauce pan. Cook over medium-low or low heat to combine and thicken, about 20 min. Also pre-heat oven to 350F.

3. Put the boiled ribs on a cookie sheet covered in foil and cover with the sauce you just made. I brush it  all over to make sure the ribs are well coated.

4. Cover with foil and bake for 30 minutes.

5. Uncover the foil and bake another 15-20 minutes until the sauce looks dark and thick on the ribs.

6. Remove from oven and cool for 10 minutes. Eat!  

No comments:

Post a Comment