if this is your first time to the zoo, please read my very first post found here. If you like what you see, feel free to subscribe. Thanks!

26 September 2011

Seriously Serious

So here I am on a rainy day. What better thing is there to do than sit in my PJs and catch up on Glee?

Actually, I've been doing chores and making this blog pretty too...

Anyways. I felt compelled to make a little post about some Glee content.

Season 2, Episode 15: Kurt and his dad are having "The TALK." You know, the sex talk? However, this one is a little different than the one we all fear or joke nervously about. Kurt is gay. His dad is not. And while his father completely loves and accepts his son, neither of them are excited to even broach the topic. What struck me about their 'talk' though, is how similar it ended up being to what I hope to tell my kids someday. It was poignant, honest, and really effective, I think.

Dad: "It's someone doing something to you, to your heart, to your self-esteem. Even though it feels like you're just having fun."
Kurt: "So.....you're saying I shouldn't have sex."
D: "I think for your thirtieth birthday, it is a great gift to yourself."
SILENCE
D: "Kurt. When you're ready, I want you to be able to...use it as a way to connect to another person. Don't throw yourself around like you don't matter. Because you matter, Kurt."


I still don't know how I feel about sex ed in schools. I had the opportunity to ask my parents anything I wanted, but I know that many kids either don't have that opportunity or just don't feel comfortable asking. I think those are the kids who end up 13 and pregnant or sexually abused and think that it's normal.

I hope all parents have some form of 'the talk' with their kids. I haven't been a teenager for a few years now, but I can still recall how strange a world it is to go from being young and carefree to something else entirely. It's important and some honesty is what takes it from being a lecture to being advice that sinks in.

No comments:

Post a Comment